Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Daddys-to-be Nest?

I'll admit that I wasn't even so sure that I believed in the "nesting" phenomenon. For those of you wondering what Nesting is, here's the definition courtesty of Women's Healthcare Topics.com:

There is a phenomenon commonly seen in pregnant women which involves a need and motivation to prepare baby's environment just prior to delivery day which is similar to the way a mother bird will prepare a nest just before laying her eggs. Like a mother bird who will not let anything stop her from building as perfect an environment as possible for her soon-to-be-hatched babies, human mothers (even disorganized ones or those who are usually unconcerned with domestic activity) often feel compelled to get their homes in order.

Now I'm a relatively organized person. No, my house probably won't pass the white glove test but you also won't come into my home unexpectedly and find me apologizing in advance for the mess. Nope, my home environment is maintained at a certain level, one that we can live with and are not shameful of. I digress, so when I arrived home on yesterday evening I found that G had completely rearranged a bedroom. I don't know what prompted this, but I like the new look and wish to do something similar for my bedroom. However, I don't know that I'll be able to pull it off nearly as successfully. I have so much stuff. Seriously, two walk-in closets in my bedroom that are both at capacity and running over. I don't know how that happens b/c every year I give away bags of clothes to the Salvation Army. In any event, I've accumulated a lot of stuff. Actually the both of us have a lot of things in our home. Add to that all the things that will come with having a new baby, whose walk-in closet is already nearing capacity and somethings gotta give!
I've been very meticulous about her things. Its probably a good idea to have a system in place so as gifts come in it won't all seem so overwhelming. I've washed a few onesies, socks, blankets, bath towels and wash clothes. Things that I know we'll need to use out the gate. Her outfits are all hanging in her closet arranged by size (i.e 0-3 mos, 3 mos, 6-9 etc). Really I would love to have some sort of California Closet organization going on in her room but that's just not in the budget. I think we're good so far, but shower #2 is this Saturday with one more following on March 11th. I know we're going to get a lot of gifts, which is such a HUGE blessing, but I don't want stuff sitting around. It will drive me insane. Yes, I'm a tad bit anal and no G and I don't clean at the same rate or pace. But we both want our home to be a safe, clean and welcoming environment for our daughter.
The carpet in the entire house was cleaned over a month ago and now I think we need to have an exterminator out b/c I've seen some pretty sizable black spiders downstairs. Having been bit by a spider and subsequently having a nasty infection that only a surgeon could manage (imagine that....YUCK!) I'm leery of those things. Yes, they're small but that do a whole lot of damage. My skin crawls just at the thought of spiders......EWWW. Ok, moving on....
In a perfect world, I would have someone come out to the house twice a month and do the cleaning. She wouldn't have much to do b/c I wouldn't allow her to do our laundry, just mop, vacuum, dust and clean the bathrooms. Maybe I'll look into this while out on maternity leave, it certainly couldn't hurt. I seriously doubt that my Mama will put the child down long enough to assist with those tasks. She's not coming to help clean, she's coming to spoil her grandbaby before having to return to AL. Ah cleaning...a necessary evil of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment