Friday, June 11, 2010

Whew!!!

Today ends my first, full, official week back at work and it has been a long one! I'm so glad it's Friday that I just don't know what to do with myself. Honestly, it hasn't been all that bad. The hardest part, of course, is being away from Olivia for so long, but the silver lining is that she's either with her Daddy or Granny when she's not with me.

It's nice being a little more adjusted to reality because for me, being a working mother is my reality. While being at home all day with my daughter was great, it's just not my life and I'm ok with that. Being able to provide for her now and in the future is of utmost importance to her Father and I, so we press our way on to work....anyhow..LOL

With such a full life, the little things make me happy. Yesterday, I was able to go and get a manicure/pedicure after work while Olivia was home with Daddy. Today I'm going to get my hair colored and styled. Tomorrow, my girls and I are having an early dinner, drinks and then going to the Maxwell/Jill Scott concert!! I'm sooo looking forward to and in need of some Girlfriend Time! I'm going to glam it all the way up and have an amazing time.

Although I feel guilty for being away from Olivia, I know that I have to strike a balance or else I'll burn out. I am still a woman and there are certain things that I need to do for me (i.e girl nights out, date night, beauty maintenance and wine..LOL). I know that I can't attend everything, or be everywhere b/c she is my first priority, but I'm also NOT Old Mother Hubbard! As the saying goes, "Everything in moderation"

I'm only at the starting line of Motherhood. I will be Olivia's Mother forever and always, even when she becomes one herself....wait....I can't process that thought right now.....ok, that hurt! Too far in the future to even consider...moving on. Every time I look into the sweet face of my child she looks older, more mature to me. Everyday it seems that she's discovering or unlocking something that she can do or understand. She's starting to self-soothe and doesn't require nearly as much assistance with getting to sleep. However, those hands of hers are BUSY! As soon as she gains control of them we will have reached a major milestone. Right now, Olivia's all about talking, kicking and smiling! Ooh her smiles are just.....the most beautiful I've ever seen. I'm not just saying this because she's my child. Her smile is gorgeous. She's happy and a happy baby makes her Mommy's and Daddy's hearts feel blessed.

Watching Olivia discover herself and the world around her is just amazing! Now what was I doing before I became a Mommy?

2 comments:

  1. Aww glad you got out and had fun. I just saw my friends pics from that concert and it looks like it was so much fun. I had a night out with my friends this weekend and we went to see SATC2, we got dressed up too and had a ball and declared we would do it once a month, at least. You are so right we have the rest of their lives to be "Mommy".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alisa, please send me the link to your blog. Somehow I can't find it? Thnx

    ReplyDelete